Search

Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Game Should Be Fun

Last night I went out to play as a sub on my friends Pool league. I love playing pool. It's a fun game for me. League players don't always see the fun in the game and take it way to seriously. Thankfully my friends team would rather drink a few beers and enjoy a few games than to get to serious about themselves. I won my first game which is amazing to me as I am not a league quality player but then of course proceeded to lose my last 3. Meh, no biggie, we had a good time and shared some beer.

I bring this up because upon arriving at home I was hit with a ton of in-game drama. Some people are simply not having fun and it's bringing the game down for everyone. I've spoke of it before here but for those who haven't followed this blog from the beginning I will touch on it a bit to bring everyone up to speed.


Leadership is/was lacking in Raid Naked when it came to raiding. I ended up leaving the guild because of some issues with this and other personal things. I tried to express my feelings about the direction of the guild but seeing as I had given leadership of the guild itself to my friend and these were his friends I felt it best to step aside and find myself a new home be it solo play or in a new guild. I found my happiness again. I enjoy the game again as much as I used to and I don't dread logging in for raid night.

I am still in touch with my old guild and it seems now that I am no longer the only person who was feeling this way. I found myself intervening and offering suggestions for stabilization and change. Amazingly enough they are now using some of them and I think they will find their happy place again.

So in my mind, there are a few things that help make sure that the game stays enjoyable for you and your guild.


  1. Have a clear and defined goal and a plan to attain that goal.

  2. Set grounds rules and never waver from them. Enforce the rules you set for yourself and the guild fairly for every member of the guild, even the newest or even the least liked.

  3. Be ready to openly discuss issues and willing to try new ideas to address them.

  4. Moderation, take everything in moderation. Allow time for a life outside of the game and use it.

  5. Never take yourself or this game to seriously. The key is to understand that it is a game.


I would love to hear some of your suggestions or comments on what I've already posted.

Have a great day!






No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.